Friday 21 March 2014

Un jour sans et un jour avec

My plan for wednesday was a 10 mile steady state run @ 6min/miling based on the 8 miles I did at similar pace about a week and a half before Ballycotton. I felt it would set me up nicely for the half marathon next weekend. Unfortunately it just didn't come off. I managed the first mile in around 5.56 before turning into a 19mph wind. I tried to comfort myself in that it would be at my back for the last few miles, but to no avail. Added to the wind my stomach was a little dicky so in the space of about 3 metres I abandoned.
This gave me a conundrum, do I attempt it again on Thursday or do I do a long run instead? Now I had to get a long run in anyway before Saturday (as I'm heading home) so could attempt the steady state and risk not managing a decent long run Friday either because of my leg and/or excess fatigue. I decided to go for the long run as I know on Sunday evening I will have some time to kill as I'm not flying until 10pm so all going well will get to the track. So even if it went ok by leaving the long run until Friday the chances are it would have lessened the quality of the session. Or maybe I just over plan things!
So onto the long run. As I got my gear on I prayed to the leg gods that my calf would hold up and got going. The plan was to go for at least 20 miles and a little more all going well. It was the warmest day of the year (around 13deg C) so far but due to a wardrobe malfunction I had to wear my jacket so I was a little hot under the collar. Yet again I had neglected bring liquids which to be honest is just plain stupid when going out for 2.5hours plus. None the less I was quickly down to 7min/miling and even though I felt the effort was slightly higher than usual, still felt comfortable. The wind had abated somewhat so it was all quite pleasant. Felt the miles passed quickly and my pace had quickened to about 6:52per mile. Still felt very comfortable. My HR was a little higher, stuck in the mid 140's but I didn't really see too much harm in that. It was only when I got to a hill at mile 17 that my legs felt a little tired but they recovered again on the downhill. Going by my pace, which I was maintaining at 6.52 I would need to run 22 miles to go over 2.5 hours so said sher why not? Stupid Garmin acted up just before hitting 21miles so it said I had passed a mile when I had only covered about 0.75 & it repeated this on the next mile before seeming to settle back. Other than this minor inconvenience a very satisfying run. Well my hip/calf leg in general started to hurt after about 15 miles but hopefully it'll loosen out with an easy run this evening. Went to the physio this morning & whilst it felt great after, it has stiffened up again during the day. Weight back to 62kg this morning after last weekends excesses!
Wednesday: 6.3 miles (abandoned steady state run)
Thursday: 22.2miles @ 6.54 HR145
  

No comments: