Tuesday 11 March 2014

Gold in dem there hills

If there was any negative to take from Sunday, other than where I could have found 5 seconds, it has to be my fade over the last 2 miles. I had felt so comfortable for so much of the race I really didn't think I would die so badly, especially since I've been doing so much endurance work of late.
My personal theory is that it was the hill at 1.5miles that done it. This was the first winter ever I did absolutely no hill work and most of my runs are done on fairly flat ground. My theory gained some weight this morning as I did a hilly hour pre breakfast. I wasn't pushing it but I was still as slow as I've ever been which doesn't add up as my normal runs have become gradually quicker at the same heart rate in the last few weeks. So I guess the solution is easy - do some hills. I don't think I'll do any actual hill sessions but I will try to find hillier routes for at least some of my runs and hopefully it'll have the desired effect.
Finally stepped on the scales this morning and was happy to see 62.1kg. Curious to know what I was Sunday morning, didn't eat too much yesterday and had bagged 30miles in the two days since, but I'm still glad I resisted.
I was surprisingly fresh yesterday morning as I headed out for a dawn run, with at least a small drop of alcohol in my system, although definitely not enough to upset Al or Kay Guy in the unlikely event they should have swung by. I think part of it was the absolutely beautiful morning it was and heading down ballinamona beach for the first time in an age.
Had some power washing to do for the day and this took infinitely more out of me so was fit for bed in the after but as soon as I laced up my runners again I was in flying form again.
Went for the aforementioned hill run this morning and followed this with an ice bath. Always found once the first cold sensation was overcome ice baths are grand, and wondered was the (disputed) benefit diminished. I discovered today that by moving around in the bath made it impossible to get comfortable. Really noticed the difference when I got out so think this is the way forward - no pain, no gain! Went for a recovery run in the evening and felt drained. Psychological perhaps but looking forward to hitting the hay.
Monday AM: 8.2miles @7.21 HR 134
PM: 7.1miles @7 .06 HR 132
Tuesday AM: 8.5miles @7.37 HR 133
PM: 4.8miles @ 7:40 HR 120

No comments: