Monday 24 March 2014

Session on

So after Friday’s bad hippy experience and Saturday’s day off, I was a little tentative about my planned track session today. Although the calf was still at me, the pain in my hip had been quite severe so it was this that scared me. I had visions of not making the start in Limerick as a result of it so I was looking forward to getting the verdict on the track. I spoke with a friend as well who is running the Rotterdam marathon in 3 weeks time. The poor lad is suffering from shin splints and so was in a pretty unhappy state. I tried consoling him by saying he has the work done, and just consider a fairly dramatic taper, but also mentioned maybe do it via aqua jogging as I had used this fairly successfully in the run up to Ballycotton in 2012 when my achilles was making regular running all but impossible.
Was running a little tight for time as I was flying at 21.55 I parked up on the Western and jogged down to the Mardyke so I could make a quick getaway after. Calf was quite tight but the hip was thankfully pain free. God bless you boule! Had it in mind again to shoot for 5.30’s (for mile repeats) after my easy 2 days and also had it in my mind if at all possible to do 8 reps. After the first lap I was at 5.22 pace but I can’t say it felt easy. Pace dropped to 5.29 before settling down and finishing in 5.26. Jogged the lap in just over 2 minutes and started to suffer on the second. Just about managed to break 5.30 so decided on the recovery lap to take it a little easier to ensure I got through the session. Put it down to Thursday’s long run, or maybe I’m just delusional:)Did the 3rd in 5.36 but half considered calling it a day. After a brief bathroom break something brilliant happened - it got dark! So instead of looking at my watch I just went on feel. I took a sneaky peak around 2.5laps in on the 4th rep as I passed a light and it said 5.32pace. Happy days and ended finishing up with 5.27. Ran the  5th and 6th without glancing at the watch at all, just focused on staying smooth  and keeping my form. I looked at my silhouette whenever it appeared and things looked ok. Knocked out a 5.31 & a 5.32 which was grand considering how I felt after the 3rd rep.
At this point I had to decide what to do next. I was OK for time so said I’d definitely do 1more and see after that. It went ok, legs were starting to feel heavy and tight but just kept the focus. 5.36, grand. So on the last recovery lap I said I’d have one last shot.I mightn’t get near a decent track till who knows when and it is a marathon I’m training for, not a 10K! Also said not to try and kill it though, save something for next Saturday but laughed as I was about to start in case I ended up in a heap after 200m. Got through the first lap, felt smooth, 2nd 3rd,started to suffer. 600 to go, really starting to suffer but managed to hold it together and finished in 5.34. Happy days. Legs were in bits so warm down was extra slow. Even had a twinge in my “good” leg.
The cramped ryanair flight isn’t helping but at least I’m staying in a hotel at Stansted tonight so should get a reasonable rest before heading on in the morning. Hopefully no new or worsening injuries to report tomorrow.
Sunday:warmup 8x1mile (5.26/2.04,5.29/2.04,5.36/3:30,5.27/3.30,5.31/3.25,5.32/2.36,5.36/2.36,5.34)
cooldown. 14.6miles
Total for week:67.7miles
Edit, only getting to bed now :( 1am

No comments: