Monday 10 March 2014

Ballycotton 10

So the big day finally arrived, was wide awake at 6.30 - not because of nerves but just because I'm quite often awake at this hour. Had stuffed myself Saturday but with all good stuff at least, but was still starved. As I wanted to eat breakfast at 9 in order to to be finished 4 hours before the off I said I'd better stay in bed until at least 8. Spent some time visualising the race. Decided no matter how good I felt I wasn't going to pass the first mile marker in under 5.45. On setting my PB of 56.49 I had passed the first mile in 5.30.
Resisted the urge to weigh myself as I knew it couldn't help but could potentially play on my mind later.
So on arriving in Ballycotton, I parked up at my old place and after a minor dilemma of a snapped quick release skewer, I cycled down to the village. Met up with some club mates and warmed up. Felt good.
As soon as the gun went felt nice and relaxed and even saluted a few people as we made our way through the village. A quick glance at my watch 5.20 pace, shit! Felt absolutely grand but backed off a little. The course started going downhill at this point and passed the first mile in 5.18. Still felt comfortable so kept going, passed mile 2 and was in a nice group, mostly leading it. Passed mile 3 in 16.30, a nice round figure and got some nice encouragement from the guy calling times as he is an old friend from my cycling days. At this point we turned a corner and even though we had a slight drag to negotiate the light breeze was at our backs so it felt good. I was away from the group now but was joined by a Galway city harriers runner (or at least a guy wearing one of their singlets) and we exchanged positions regularly. Once we turned the next corner things started to get a little tougher. We had passed a few lads who appeared to be dying on their feet. Just tried to stay relaxed as we approached halfway (can't remember my split). The next mile I always found tough when I did tempos on the course and it was even worse today as the admittedly light breeze was against us. By now I knew I was on for good time, it was just a matter of how good. As we passed the 6 mile mark I was breathing heavily but still going well with my GCH friend still by my side. We were joined by another guy at 10k which we passed in 34.58, nice. Went to the front of the little group once more in order to apex a bend but as we came to a little drag I finally bid farewell to the two guys as I felt if I tried to stick with them I'd have died altogether later on. Got through mile 7 and just focused on the 2 lads as they got away - they were really powering on (relatively at least) Got to the 8 mile mark in 45 minutes (another round figure!) and said all I need is two 6 minute miles for 57 minutes. I'll surely be quicker that I thought. My garmin still read 5.35avg pace with 1.5 miles to go. But then comes THE hill. Did my best to pump my arms and got up it OK but as the road leveled off my legs were gone. Had to do very best to just keep the legs going. Hit the one mile to go and noticed my last mile had been 5.56 - not good. Was amazed that no one was passing me. Had a brief moment of delight when I passed 1000m to go as I was expecting 1200m. Not that it really makes a difference as I know exactly where the finish line is. I could hear the finishing announcer by now and just wanted the line. Really was struggling now but as I passed 200m to go I could tell there was someone coming behind me. As I was pipped close to the line last year, I was just about able to summon the strength to put in a short sprint. Crossed the line in bits but amazed with my time of 56.53, just 4 seconds off my best. Knew training was going well but really was nt expecting it to come good so soon. Found out later I was 32nd which was a nice bonus with my previous best being 40th. 25% of the top 32 were East Cork AC athletes which really shows the strength in depth of the club.
Went for a few beers with the club that evening and everyone seemed to be planning a few easy days. As I have this week off I want to make the most of it though so was happy enough to be in bed by 12.45am... with a huge smile on my face :-)
Sat: 3miles @ 7:47 HR 123
Sun: warmup 2.5 Race 56:53 HR 167 splits (5:17,5:26,5:41,5:35,5:42,5:44,5:36,5:41,5:56,5:54,19secs)
Warm down:2.5
Weekly total :57miles

No comments: