Wednesday 12 March 2014

Back on track

The plan for today was for a track session. I had it in my head that I would do mile repeats and had 5:30 as my target time. If this felt easy I might bring them down to 5:25 but only if it still allowed me to do 8 of them. Seemingly my head had forgotten about Sunday's efforts but my body gave it a quick reminder!
There was a lot of people on and around the track at CIT, as there were groups training for the special Olympics. Thankfully I was able to stay out of their way and they mine, track etiquette is far better observed in Ireland compared with Denmark.
But I was a little distracted and was a little confused when I glanced at my watch on the first lap of the first mile and saw 5:38 pace. As the reality sat in and I admitted to myself I'm not Galen Rupp I quickly decided that I'd get through the first and reevaluate. I ended up with 5:37 so said that if I could be under 5:40 for all (I also decided 6 was a more realistic quantity) of them it would be a good session and used my mantra about it being about effort and not pace.
Never really got into a rhythm, I guess partly due to not having time for a proper warmup. I had miscalculated my time (should have taken it as a sign) so had to have the entire session done in 70 minutes. I struggled through and despite a 5.45 blip they were all OK. I kept all the recoveries around 2.20)
The physio session was a tale of two halves, I was fine on the backs of my legs, (which was a first) but my quads, IT bands and glutes were a different story. He gave me some exercises to do to strengthen them, Bulgarian squats and I promised to do them diligently, as always :-)
Finished the day with an easy 30 minutes and bumped into the 3rd place finisher from Sunday and also a 4 time former winner, so was in good company.
Session: 6x1mile
5:37,2:17,5:32,2:17,5:35,2:21,5:45,2:23,5:39,2:24,5:40)
PM: 4.5miles @ 7:18 HR132

No comments: