Tuesday 2 June 2009

It's not a long way from Tipperary...

Finished off the week with a very easy 7.2miles on grass @ 7.51 pace and HR136 on Saturday. Had a wedding to go to Saturday afternoon so decided in advance that Sunday would be a rest day. Indeed it was as I balmed out on the couch for the afternoon and managed to fall asleep and miss the 2nd half of the Cork Tipp hurling match! Total for week:53miles
So onto to monday, which was supposed to be D-Day ie the date for the Cork City Marathon, once I got into the city I was immiediately pissed off that I was n't running. The buzz before a marathon is simply different than any other distance, even for a pretty low key one like Cork. The worrying thing for the runners however was that even at 8.45 it was already starting to heat up and like the previous two years the day was set to be a scorcher. I can imagine how frustrating this would be for someone aiming for a certain time, I saw some guys who I've seen run 57 minutes for 10 miles not even managing to break 3.15 so I wonder where that would have left me?
I did manage to get a race in Monday evening although it was rather shorter than the 26.2miles originally planned. There was a 5K on in Waterford village called Touraneena which allegedly was half an hour from East Cork. After driving for 70 minutes we finally arrived in the village which is pretty much just outside Clonmel, well almost. Anyway after warming up we made our way up to the start line which was worryingly about 200m up a hill and led into a blind cambered corner. As it turned out it did n't cause any problems and I got into a nice rhythm for the first 2K which were pretty much up a slight hill. Was shoulder to shoulder with a club mate when the course levelled out and we managed to reel a guy in front but I could see by his shadow that he stuck with us as we passed. Clocked my 3K time at 10.50 which I thought was very slow as I had been going through the 3K during the track races in about 10 flat. The last 2K were pretty much downhill and although the guy we passed got away I held off my Clubmate for 7th place and a new road PB of 16.57. Happy with that but would like to take another chunk off that before the summer is over... splits were(5.35/5.37/5.21/0.23)
Managed an easy 10 today in beautiful sunshine. Long may it continue!!
Monday: Warmup 2.5 Race:5K Cooldown 3.1
Tuesday: 10miles @ 7.37 pace HR138 was holding 7.10 pace for the first few miles very comfortably for the first time in a while.

No comments: