Wednesday 17 June 2009

The perfect Race

Finally I managed to race according to the plan. And thankfully it had the desired effect, a new PB by a whopping 28 seconds. The only dampener was I didn't manage to get a Top 20 t-shirt (23rd) but if someone had offered me beforehand a T-shirt or a 16:29 there was only going to be one winner! After a chaotic start got into a nice rhythm, I think the fact that the leaders took off so quick made it easier to hold back as I was never going to stay with them. Ended up running with a friend who always has the edge on me in the longer races but I seem to get the upper hand on distances of 4 miles and shorter. As we ran shoulder to shoulder we managed to pick of a few of the eager beavers who took off a bit quickly and we were gaining on some more all the way to the finish.Felt very comfortable untill the 2mile mark and pulled away in the last quarter mile and even managed to cover the last 0.1 of mile in under 25 seconds which was especially pleasing. In fairness conditions were perfect on this superflat course so I'd imagine there were PB's all round but I'm not going to let that steal my thunder! My splits were (5.17/5.23/5.23/<25) which is as close to by the book as you can get.
Just did an easy 60 minutes today, calf on right leg a little sore but nothing to worry about hopefully.
Sun:Am:5.4miles @ 7.10 HR143 (road)
PM: 5miles @ 7.20 HR141 (beach)
Mon: Rest
Tues:Warmup:3miles 5K Race Cooldown:3miles
Wed: 8.9miles @ 7.01 HR143 (woods/road)

No comments: