Saturday 6 June 2009

Tempo run

Finished off the week with an easy 5 and a bit yesterday, was planning on doing 8 but was still a bit tired after thursdays session and I knew I was planning a tempo run today so I decided to use the old 'listen to the body' philosophy. My calves were quite sore as well but I think this might be due to running on the bone dry grass track with XC spikes. If it's still dry next week I think I will wear my road racing shoes instead.
So onto the tempo run, I must say it went quite well, especially as I felt a bit empty during the warmup, but then again that was uphill. Had planned on doing 5 miles @ 6min miling and just about managed it clocking 5.57/mile or 29.49minutes in total. I used the same course that is used for the Churchtown South 5 miler and was only 9secs slower than last years race time. Took off a bit quickly but I knew that the third mile was going to be uphill & into the wind so I said I'd better bank a bit of time to ensure an even effort. My splits were (5.45/5.54/6.12/5.52/6.05), was pleased with the last mile as the last 400m were up the same hill and right into the headwind. Will hope to this once a week and see how it goes. Mileage for the week was quite low but with a race, a session and a tempo maybe quality and not quantity will bring the desired results...
Friday: 5.4miles @ 7.12 HR140bpm
Sat: Warmup: 1.6 Tempo: 5mile @ 5.57 HR171 Cooldown: 1.4
Total for week: 50.85miles

No comments: