Friday 29 May 2009

Another Race, Another 8th Place

Very happy with the way last night's race went, 8th place in 28.18 which funnily enough is exactly what the mcmillan predictor gave me when I put in my Fota time of 22.20 ( I only did this afterwards so it was n't a psychological thing). The race started fairly slowly so was right in the mix for the first half mile or so but when the pace picked up I consciously decided to let them off so's not too repeat the fading off of the last few races. Very quickly there was two groups of four ahead of me and I was exchanging places with a rising sun runner for 9th & 10th. Things stayed like this, with my companion putting in little surges until just after 3 mile when we came to the first real hill. I could see a guy in front fading and decided to up the pace so when we past him he wouldn't latch on. This also had the effect of shaking off the fella who was with me. After the brow of the hill I relaxed a little and could here someone closing on me but they didn't pass. Not taking any chances as soon as we hit 'the beast of Ballyandreen' I upped the pace again to burn them off. After the hill leveled off a spectator told me I had about 20metres, this was with about 3/4 mile to go. The rest of the race was pretty much downhill, I could see 2 guys in front of me but even though I was pretty sure I couldn't catch then I felt if I could close the gap a little it would mean there was less chance of anyone catching me. Whoever said running down hill was easy!! the last half mile was agony, trying to keep the legs turning over quickly but it was worth it as always. 20 seconds slower than my PB but on a much more difficult course so can't complain. My Splits were ( 5.35/5.24/5.43/6.18/5.15)
Felt tired when I ran this morning, knee was a little sore at the beginning but loosened out a bit as I went on.
Thursday: Warmup 2.4 Race Cooldown 2.2
Friday: 7.3miles @ 7.34 HR143

No comments: