Sunday 17 May 2009

Have a break...

Ran the County 5K last Sunday & managed to shave 2 seconds off the previous weeks time giving me 16.57. My 1mile splits were shockingly inconsistant though (5.13/5.24/5.44), although I kinda have an excuse as the masters 3k was run in conjunction with our race so I went with a group of them for shelter but as soon as they finished I died a death. Really had to push it at the end but glad I did as I suppose there won't be another track race untill next year. Came 5th out of 8.
During the warm down my left knee which has been at me pretty much since I came home got really sore, so much so that I had to slow to a walk going up some steps. Went for physio on Monday & she did some work on it & strapped it and gave me some exercises. I told her about my ongoing IT band problems & she suggested that my Glutes were weak so gave me some exercises to strenghten them as well. She also said to take some time off so I didn't do anything untill today.
I guess I should have taken it easy today & gone for a light jog but there was a 1 mile race in Ballinhassig so it was too tempting an opportunity for a PB to pass up. Sure enough I managed to knock 16 seconds off (5.13 set on the track) with a 4.57 getting second place into the bargain. Really had to push it to hold off the 3rd place guy and I'd say another 50metres and he'd have had me. The course was downhill in places but we had a stiff headwind to deal with.
Will hopefully start back proper training tomorrow. Marathon dreams are well shattered at this stage, starting to think it's not worth it if it i keep getting injured...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling about getting hurt after running a marathon. I personally will stick to 5ks and half marathons, that's after I figure out what's wrong with my knee. Good Luck!