Monday 25 May 2009

Youghal 10K

Finished off the week with an easy 8 on grass of friday evening. Took Saturday of as I spent the day rotavating the back 'garden' so that was training in itself. Also had the Emer Casey 10K on Sunday so it was no harm to take the day off.
So onto the race: Had hoped to at least break 35.30 due to my performance thursday night on what I had heard was a fast course. Turned out I got 35.45 (8th) which was exactly a minute off my previous best. Again my splits were shocking (5.23/5.13/5.42/5.51/6.03/6.13/1.19) Didn't think I took off too fast but the second mile was downhill mostly so I made the best of it and caught a group of four in front of me. As soon as we hit level ground I left them go as I knew I'd blow up if I tried to stick with them. Was joined by two other runners but they quickly burned me off aswell. Managed to maintain the distance to these guys and didn't see anyone else for the remainder of the race. This seems strage seeing as I was so slow over miles 5 & 6. There was only a slight hill so I don't know what the explanation is for slowing down so much. I guess I'm used to racing up to 5 miles so this may have something to do with it.
Olympic silver medalist Sonia O'Sullivan also ran today, it was cool to toe the line with one of Ireland's greatest ever sportspeople.
Friday:8miles @7.29 HR145 Total for week: 39
Sunday:2.6warmup 10k race 2 warmdown

No comments: