Monday 23 February 2015

Domingo - Esta la pista ,eh Open?

Despite pretty much sitting on the stove for two hours after the ice bath, I didn’t really feel heat in my bones until I got out for a second run in the evening. As I was in Midleton and was under a little pressure I ended up going a little faster than usual, but legs felt grand once they got going. Being under pressure for time has always made me run a little faster so maybe I should make important plans for after every race!
PM: 6.6miles @ 6.34 HR 141
Woke up early on Sunday and lay in bed for an hour before getting up at 6am. Spent the next few hours watching the Birmingham indoor grand prix from the day before before having breakfast around nine. The rain was falling all morning but thankfully the strong winds that had been forecast didn't materialise as I went out for my run around 11. Was flying initially, almost continuing where I left off the previous day but I don’t know if fatigue set in or mentally I put the brakes on, knowing I had a session planned for Monday. Pace really went down, as did the rain and would have called it a day after 10 miles but I wanted to round off the week to 90 miles, which isn't bad considering Wednesday and Thursday fell into the ‘jour sans’ category!

11.7miles @ 7.18 HR 135

Right now I've got Monday off to a decent enough start, I have a week off work so headed for Malaga last night (not spur of the moment - decided a few weeks ago). After a breakfast of porridge brought from home I found a track relatively easy. Was a little apprehensive due to fear of Friday's long run being still in my legs and felt a bit under pressure to perform after my effort of getting here. The plan was for mile repeats and after a warmup the legs did indeed feel kind of tired on the first repeat. There wasn't the holding back that I often need to do on the first but I managed to get under 5.35 as planned with a 5.34. After 2.30 recovery actually felt a little better on the second but still not great and got through in 5.30, nice. The third was fine too with a 5.32 and I was thinking about who things fell apart the last day at the Mardyke after the third. This must have spurred me on as I knocked out a 5.25 for the fourth with a more sensible 5.33 on the fifth before giving everything on the sixth to get under 5.30 and duly ended up with 5.28. Happy days, was well spent after and just sat in the Sun and relaxed for a while before an afternoon of doing nothing other than eat.

Got out for another few miles in the evening and felt comfortably tired but not knackered. Had hoped to go back to the track on next Sunday, as I fly back to Denmark Monday morning but turns out it's closed for the weekend , go figure...

AM 2 mile warmup 6x1mile with 2.30 recoveries (5.34, 5,30, 5.32, 5.25, 5.33, 5.28) 2.5 mile cooldown total 12miles
PM 6miles @ 7.07 HR 133

No comments: