Saturday 21 February 2015

A strange week

This week has been quite strange, starting quite well with a dip in the middle but thankfully getting back on track (though not literally) towards the end.
Started the week with a long run pre breakfast. I did a few of these last year and found they brought me on a bit so said I'd give it another go. Went pretty well. As I was flying back monday evening I squeezed in my second run in the early afternoon on pretty tired legs getting 20 miles in for the day.
AM: 13miles @7.38 HR 131
PM: 7miles @7.17 HR 135
For the first time ever I attempted a morning run to work after getting in late post flight and I have to say I found it really hard to get going. Struggled through however and the run home was actually worse. Felt oh so tired and just wanted my bed as soon as I got home in a bit of a daze.
AM: 7.4miles @7.43 HR 123
PM: 4.5miles @7.32 HR 123
On Wednesday I was still pretty knackered but said I'd better go to the track. I was planning a fast finish long run for the weekend so forewent my usual tempo run in favour of another session of mile repeats. Felt rubbish on the jog towards the track and threw in the towel after about 300m's of the first  repeat. Decided I needed an extra day's recovery so just did an easy hour in total, which felt anything but easy!
8.25miles @7.29 HR 125
On Thursday I wasn't feeling any better. Both physically and mentally I was just drained. Ended up stuffing myself at lunchtime thinking maybe I hadn't been eating enough, but if anything it just made me feel worse. Started doubting myself and whether all this work was worth it and in a fit of self pity took the day off. Went to bed at 8.30pm which was no harm as had to be up at 3.20am to begin the journey home.
Got a pretty good night's sleep considering and debated whether I should attempt my long run as soon as I landed or wait until Saturday. Did a fair bit of carbo loading while waiting at the airports so decided to put it to good use and headed straight to Mahon from the airport. The plan was to do 10 miles easy followed by 6 miles getting progressively faster. 
Even though I didn't feel exceptional during the opening 10 miles my pace was good, getting down to about 6.53/mile before a few 7min miles brought me back to 6.56. I had left my HR strap in Denmark so was relying on feel but didn't feel I was over exerting myself. I said to myself if I did 2 miles at 6.30, 2 more at 6.20 and a final 2 at 6.10 it would be a good day out so with this in mind I set out on my 11th mile a little nervous and a little excited. Straight away I was at below 6 minute mile pace and  felt grand but probably more to do with the garmin adjusting to the increase in speed. Made sure to back off though - better to go for longer rather than faster. Did re-evaluate though and decided to aim for a drop of 5 seconds per mile rather than 10 every 2 miles. Plan actually worked almost perfectly. Felt very much in control, adjusting my speed slightly as required. Ended up with 8 miles getting faster and faster and as recommended by Greg McMillan finished off flat out. It was pleasing to see my last 5 miles were pretty much an average of 6 minute per mile which was a nice way to end an 18 miler and only really had to dig deep on the last mile and a half or so.
10miles @ 6.56 + 8miles (6.26, 6.22, 6.18, 6.11, 6.00, 5.59, 6.02, 5.52) + 2miles warmdown
Did a very gentle run in the evening to help recovery: 3.3miles @8.05 HR120 (bought a new Strap!)

So this morning. Did an easy hour - legs felt OK considering . Made the best of an overnight fall of snow to have a free ice bath!
AM 8.2miles @ 7.21 HR 131



No comments: