Sunday 17 February 2008

Cork county Novice & Masters road championships

What a brutal course!! Up hill for virtually all of the last mile and a half. Don't feel like I performed well at all. Started too fast and paid for it later on. Was in a group of 3 in 4th, 5th and 6th up untill mile 2.5. Then one by one runners went past, with one or two offering encouragement as they went - b*stards!! Ended up in 10th overall in 22.56 , 6th place in the Novice category due to some of the guys ahead of me being masters. Imagine my surprise when I was announced in third place when the results were being called out! Must be something to do with the novices ahead of me being medallists in the more prestigious masters (O35, O40 etc) categories. Still only put me in 4th by my count, so I won't hold my breath for the medal to arrive...
We came 3rd in the novice club event (East Cork AC) narrowly pipped by Midleton AC, for 2nd and a long way behind Grange-Fermoy AC who won.

My Splits were as follows:
Mile 1: 5.06 @174bpm
Mile 2: 5.17 @184bpm
Mile 3: 5.54 @187bpm
Mile 4: 6.37 @188bpm

Did a 3.5mile warm up and 6 miles after giving a total of 13.5 for the day.
Total for week 1 of 16 was: 61.5 miles which is not too Shabby. No races planned now untill the Ballycotton 10 in 3 weeks time so should be able to concentrate on getting some long runs in at the weekends. I can hardly wait...

No comments: