Friday 27 March 2009

15 minutes of fame!

Got my first win under my belt today in The Ras Laffan Pearl Village Half Marathon. But I must admit I didn't beat too much. My time of 79.09 (for 21k, which I think is just under 100m short of official distance) was ok. Was on for 78 minutes untill the last 3 or 4 K where I faded a good bit which was to be expected as I hadn't eaten much (2 bananas!) beforehand and only took on water during. The next competitor was 10-15 minutes behind so it was pretty much a race against the clock. I must say it was a very enjoyable experience. I can remember getting the usual race feeling of 'I can't wait untill this is over' but then I thought hey when am I ever going to be leading a race again so I just savoured it. The crowds were great as it was around the camp so there was plenty of support. Was a bit aprehensive before hand, more nervous than I've ever been as all my colleagues were saying I'd run (literally) away with it but there's always the fear that there's someone better around. At the gun 5 guys took off fairly quickly, but there was only one that looked dangerous as he appeared to be doing 5min/mile pace. I need n't have worried as after about 600m he slowed considerably & I passed him before the 1K mark. Before the 2K mark the photographer in the lead car told me I had a 7 lampost lead (about 100m) and it was at that point I was fairly confident it was in the bag. The photographer obviously felt likewise as he got out of the car!! Kept the pace up as it felt comfortable and just concentrated on picking off the K's after that. Felt like a mini celebrity at the end as loads of guys were asking for their photo's to be taken, although when I went for a run in the evening only one or two guy's waved so I don't think I'm gonna be hounded for autograph's or anything.

Anyway Tuesday: 6.5miles easy
Wednesday: 6.5miles easy
Friday: am 14.5 miles (0.75warmup 13mile Race 0.75warmdown)
pm: 6.5miles easy

2 comments:

Richard said...

Jaesus,

79min is pretty swift for a half. You're 3:30 will disappear in Cork if you're doing heat training now!

frankeee said...

Cheers Richard, Alas injury has dashed my hopes of doing Cork:-(