Sunday 18 January 2015

Master of none

After a fairly hairy trip to Nenagh due to icy roads, I was happy to be running indoors, despite the infamously arctic venue. Wasn't too confident but reckoned with a good run I should get down to around 10 minutes or so.
After discovering that we were being set off with the senior men (I've given up on senior running when masters is available) my fear of being lapped disappeared due to it's inevitability. After making a few introductions to some of the other masters it didn't appear to be too loaded a field.
When the gun went I was happy to remain at the back of the field, in fact I felt very lacksidasical. After a few lads quickly detaching themselves at the front of the field I settled in at the back of the second (and possibly final) group. As there was no counter it was down to ourselves to count down the laps. I knew I hadn't started too quickly but I was still surprised with how quickly I got lapped. I hung on to one of the guys who I knew who was O35 and let another get away. I felt reasonably comfortable but overtaking on the tight track takes a fair bit of energy so once or twice I got held up in traffic and unfortunately due to this and a lapse in concentration I allowed a gap to develop. After 10 laps (2K) I was starting to suffer and started to give up on the notion of catching anyone. I had no idea how I was doing time wise but just struggled on.
I crossed the line in 10.24 which was pretty disappointing, I definitely expected quicker than that. But hopefully with another few weeks of training the performances will start to follow.
One positive I can take from the lightened training over the last few days is that a niggle I had had in my right knee has thankfully disappeared.
Warm up 2.5miles 3K in 10.24 (5th O35 I think) 3.5 miles warm down. Total for week 67miles

No comments: