Thursday 8 January 2015

Back to work

After having no problems with a 17 mile long run before Christmas I didn't think I’d have any major issue with an 18 miler on Monday. As I was flying back to Denmark Monday evening I thought it would be good to get the week off to a good start. It turned out to be a bit of a slog though plus I had to put up with a constant drizzle which felt like it added a few kilos to my running gear even though in reality it didn't. I think it was more to do with the heavy mileage over Christmas having done the 17 miles on Fresh legs. 18 miles @ 7.40 HR 143
The plan for Tuesday had been to do a session with some work colleagues but when it was apparent I would be alone I decided to give it a skip. As the guy who coaches the session doesn't know me I was nervous that he would push a bit hard and after all the miles I didn't want to risk injury. If the other guys were there I could at least have hidden in the pack a. Instead I did a tempo run and after doing the first two miles in 6.19 and 6.26 I was quite happy to get my average pace down to 6.13 by the end. This was my fastest tempo run in a while, although I did manage one at 6.07 in Spain in November, but I was well rested and the conditions were perfect. From looking back at last year I appear to be about a month ahead of where I was, which is encouraging, if I can keep it up! 12 miles incl 10K tempo run @ 6.13 HR 168.
Managed a double yesterday, 5.5 miserable miles in sleet in the morning into a head wind (to work) and a more agreeable 6.5 on the way home.

Decided I didn't want to double up again today so took an extended route to work to get 8 miles in. About to head home now and looking forward to an evening of leisure.  

No comments: