Saturday 17 January 2015

After last weeks tempo run I was really looking forward to the next one as I was curious to see how it would go on fresh legs, well when I say fresh I mean not having done a long run the previous day - as my legs weren't too fresh after my first 80 mile week since last spring. But all day Monday I have to admit I was dreading it, even considering putting it off until Tuesday. But as I know only too well ’tis a slippery slope - putting off a Tempo off for 24 hours can quickly turn into Pizza, ice cream and a lash of pints and a “sher there's always Autumn” As I was getting changed I remarked to one of my colleagues who also runs my sense of foreboding & he just said, the hard bit is getting out there and with this in mind I headed out into the cold but slightly less windy elements. 
My personal philosophy for tempos is to do the first mile no quicker than the average speed of the previous one so in this case 6.13min/mile. Regulating pace was never going to be easy in the still quite windy weather so when I saw 6.16 at around the half mile mark I didn't worry too much. I had a tail wind for the next section though and went through the first mile in 6.10. Shortly after this I entered a section where there was no street lighting so had to go purely off feel, which is no harm at all. I must have sped up though as the second mile was 6.04 and a far cry from the 6.26 of last week. Felt good though and continued like this and by mile 4 my average was 6.05. The wheels came off after this a bit though, despite my best efforts to keep the speed up and miles 5 & 6 were both around 6.15 giving an overall pace of 6.08. Nothing wrong with that but had hoped to be within touching distance of 6 minute miling. Finished with a long cool down giving me 13miles for the day.
By tuesday morning the wind had finally disappeared so I did a very enjoyable 8 miles AM. Had had a very bad nights sleep so by the afternoon I was shattered so struggled through another 4 after work. AM 8.3miles @7.25 HR137 PM 4miles @7.49 HR129
As I am racing on Sunday I decided I would try and do some sort of speedwork on Wednesday. Thankfully I got a good nights sleep but at around 11am the snow started to fall thick and fast and despite the prettiness all I could think of was should I go to the track or do something else? In the end I headed to the track from work. I had foolishly underestimated the distance and had 5 miles done by the time I got there. There was no way I was going to attempt 400’s on an icy track so I decided to revert to my ‘favourite’ mile repeats or 1.609’s as they’re known locally. As it was pitch black after the first 60 seconds of light on my watch I was again running on feel. I was happy enough to clock 5.55 for the first. As I started the second a horde of Golden oldies arrived on the track for some aerobics of some sort. Despite being here long enough to know better I was still a bit incredulous to see them lined up along lane one as I approached. “Lane one, bane et!!” I shouted and they scattered like a flock of hens. By the next lap they were respectfully occupying the 7 free lanes but I had already decided that this was my final repeat and this was compounded by the time of 6.05. I did a longish cool down bringing at total of 12.odd miles. 
Despite another night of no sleep I had no option but to run to work on Thursday (Both my jackets were at the office) I’m beginning to think it’s the thought of running to work that makes me sleep badly so I headed off at 4.45am and was surprised to meet a few other runners en route. Despite it only being a 4 mile trip I squeezed in another 4 so’s that I wouldn't have to do anything in the PM if I was going to be as knackered as I was Tuesday. I think I was actually a bit under the weather so had a lemsip as soon as I was showered and started to feel a bit better. Could have managed a few miles but it was raining katten og hunden in the evening so I took it as a sign to do some stretching and foam rolling instead. I didn't read the sign but read a book instead! 8miles @7.50 HR137.
Oddly despite my increased mileage and genuinely only eating healthily all week I managed to put on weight which was a little annoying. I am making a point of trying not obsess about weight during this training cycle but know in my heart and soul I’ll get nowhere weighing as I am, 68kilos. So on thursday my frustration manifested itself in polishing off almost a loaf of ryebread with peanut butter along with dinner. Out of curiosity I weighed myself this morning and it hadn't made a huge difference but felt pretty crap all day. Not surprisingly I wasn't any better as I embarked on what should have been a quite pleasant run in the afternoon. The old “you’ve a race on Sunday” mentality had kicked in aswell so didn't enjoy my little jaunt around Bagsvaerd So (lake) at all. I was quite happy to be on my way to airport and having some time to relax before my flight. 8.1miles @8.32 HR139

Even though I was overnighting in Amsterdam, and not flying until 9.40am on Saturday I resisted the urge to go on the lash. Well to be honest there was n't much resisting I just felt like going to bed. Did a very nice 50minutes on frosty grass near the airport this morning before heading to the airport. All set for the masters indoors in Nenagh tomorrow. Not expecting too much but it'll be nice to have a good blow out. 6.2 miles @7.51 HR 132. First time running below sea level!!

No comments: