Monday 19 January 2015

a bad day out of office

Today was a bad day, and it was entirely my own fault although I'm not sure if it was entirely physical or mental or a combination of both. After returning from Nenagh I had some food, a little too much as I had promised Olan I'd take him for Pizza. When we got to the pizza restaurant I foolishly picked one with lots of salty and fatty bacon. As a result of this and ahem dessert I found myself gasping with the thirst when I woke during the night. 
My plan was to do my first 20 miler today but from the first step I felt off. I struggled on hoping that it would improve as the run progressed. Managed a decent enough clip for the first few miles and was down at around 7.05 pace but started to really struggle at the first major hill at mile 8. This was also the end of the first loop so it did cross my mind to call it a day.
Soldiered on and felt a little better for a while but on approaching the hill for the second time I felt awful. The only thing that stopped me from stopping was shame juxtaposed with the fear of freezing. Eventually fatigue outweighed pride and I adopted a run walk strategy for about half a mile before managing to amble the last mile home.
A very sobering experience which will hopefully stick with me next time I'm thinking of stuffing myself with junk food.

16.3 miles @ 7.43 HR 137

No comments: