Thursday 9 July 2009

Corkbeg 5 mile

After my reluctant easy week, I expected to be rearing to go for tonights race in east Cork. But to be honest I was n't looking forward to it all. After warming up I was kinda of half hoping I had forgotton my racing shoes so I could cop out. I took solace from the fact that I sometimes get this feeling before my best performances and that it's just down to nerves.
Sure enough as soon as the gun went off I felt grand and got into a nice rhythm and was in the lead group of 9 or 10. As the first mile was pretty much downhill I was n't surprised when my split time was 5.11. At this point I got dropped from the group & was out on my own although there was no wind so this was no problem. after about 1.5 miles the course took off up a steepish hill but I felt fine so I started making inroads on the guy in front who had also lost touch with the breakaway group (sorry Le Tour is on at the moment!) After a sharp down hill we were back on the flat heading back to meet the road we had ran out on. I was making steady ground on the guy in front and passed him at the 4 mile mark. I put a bit of road between us but I could sense him coming back so really had to dig deep up the hill we had ran down at the start up to the finish. In the end he died off so another 8th place. Thought I had done enough to break 27.30 as my pace read 5.28/mile but had to settle for 27.34 as I clocked the distance at 5.04 miles. Still a PB by 15secs so I can't complain!
Splits were 5.11/5.40/5.27/5.34/5.30 & 10secs for not apexing the corners.
Thursday: Warmup:3 Race 5 miles Warmdown 2miles

No comments: