Tuesday 24 March 2015

Setbacks

Haven't been blogging lately so below is a rough summary
So on the Friday following Ballycotton, it was the run that has been on my mind ever since I realised I had 7 hours to kill in Schiphol airport and decided to get my long run out of the way here. I was fretting about the logistics, Even though I've been through Schiphol over 200 times over and have used the lockers etc. before. I was more nervous about finding a route that
A) wouldn't get me lost, and
B) wouldn't have me stopping for traffic 
The reason b was important because it was my second fast finish long run. I think this is the main reason I was so nervous as it would be a good indicator of whether I was on track for my marathon goal which is getting ever closer. 
I read back over my post for my first FFLR which had gone really well and I noted I had had a terrible week leading up to it. I've felt ok this week so it should go even better right ? The plan was 10 miles at 140 HR followed by 5miles @ 6.10 followed by another 5 as fast as possible. 
 I was well fueled having had pancakes with 50/50 flour and porridge for dinner and a large bowl of porridge for breakfast at 8.30 and topped up at Copenhagen airport with some rugbrød. Felt grand for the first 4 or 5 miles but fairly rubbish heading towards 10. Not to worry , almost a carbon copy of the last day. 
However as soon as I tried to get going I knew it was going to be a tough day. I was struggling to get below 6.20 pace. After a mile or so I was tempted just to make it a regular long run, I'm sure if I was closer to the airport I'd have said to Hell with it! But I decided it would be a long walk of shame and despite not wearing stilettos I would have felt eyes looking at me and bowing and shaking their heads. Anyway I soldiered on and even though I expected the wind to be at my back I hadn't counted on some canals not being straight but the breeze wasn't too strong in any case. I kept thinking I'd reevaluate after each mile and now I had a slight pain in my left calf. I just about got through it but was knackered.
20 miles including 10miles @ 6.50 + 9miles (6.16/6.15/6.28/6.30/6.23/6.31/6.18/6.35/6.54) + 1 mile HR 137.
Got out for 6 miles on Saturday and calf was a bit sore but nothing major. I had tinkered with the idea of a second run that evening but as all my problems started almost to the day last year I decided to not bother with it. Little did I know it would be my last run for 6 days.
Weekly total: 83 miles
I wasn't really in the mood to run Sunday and with my calf the way it was easy to convince myself to give it a miss. I woke up on Monday (I was n't flying back until Tuesday morning) with a bad cold and feeling miserable. Now normally I'd run away with a cold but I was completely lacking in energy. It didnt abate for the week and I attempted a run on Thursday but had to give in after less than a mile and just go to bed.
By Saturday I was finally feeling some way normal so I attempted to run again and let off some pent up energy - felt Ok thankfully and managed 9.1 miles @6.33 HR 139.
I realised I really needed to get a long run in, so managed to restrict myself to water while watching Ireland retain their 6 nations title and got up early on Sunday morning. 4 weeks out from Manchester and at this stage last year I managed 24 miles. As always I aim for 20 & see what happens. Things went well for the first 13 miles or, I was cruising along at around 6.40 pace. It did get tricky then very quickly and by 16 miles I was knackerered. Held it together until 18miles after which my pace really dropped off and my hamstrings were suffering. Kept going until 22.4 miles or 2hrs35 minutes in absolute bits.
22.4miles @ 6.55 HR 137 Weekly Total: 32 miles

Was still wrecked on Monday, ran to and from work. The run in was bad but the run home was one of my toughest ever.
AM 4miles @ 7:54 HR 121
PM 4.3miles @ 8:17 HR115

Tired today (tuesday) but managed a slightly longer run in. Plan was to run home but screw it!
AM 7.3miles @ 7:33 HR 129
 

No comments: