Wednesday 11 March 2015

Ballycotton 10

On getting in to Cork I settled on Midleton as a venue for my run. Just managed an easy 6miles and I couldn't wait to get it done and dusted. Felt similarly on Saturday morning, 3 miles never felt so long!!
Friday 6 @ 7.18 HR 127
Sat 3miles @ 7.47 HR 125
And then the big day arrived, the 38th Ballycotton 10. The conditions were nigh on perfect with the light breeze due to push us home. I was nervous, I had 55 minutes in my head but knew it would be a pretty tall order. My weight had dropped to 62.1kg - you might n't be able to fatten the pig the day before the Mart but you can slim down the runner thankfully! I had some work to do Sunday morning so unlike other races I didn't go prerun the race in my head which I don't think made a difference either way – the plan usually goes out the window anyway!! 
After a big feed of carbs I hit the road but between the jigs and the reels I found myself quite late getting to the start line. I barely had time for a 2mile warm up which was done quickly and didn't even manage any strides. 
Maybe because of this when the gun went I struggled with the pace a little. Usually running down through the village is the easiest thing in the world. I reassured myself with how bad I felt for the first mile of the half marathon last year which turned out a PB so early days yet. I was struggling to stay with a group so let them go. I then got sucked in and spat out my Maria McCambidge's group and as I assumed she'd be 55 minutes plus so this worried me - as it turned out she smashed the course record with 54 minutes!
As we got to mile 2 I felt I had lost my head , I just wanted the damn thing to be over and was already thinking just get it over with and enjoy the social aspect of the day. As my pace dropped below 5.30 I realized I would probably end up outside 57 minutes. Things hadn't improved by mile 3 but I got good encouragement from an injured clubmate who was spectating and that sort of shook me up a bit. He has since told me that I looked determined but up to that point I was anything but!
I started to focus on the runner in front. My pace had drifted to 5.36 but as I approached mile 4 runners were definitely coming back to me. The next mile and a half were directly into the breeze so my pace drifted to 5.38. I knew I'd lose time on the hill to the finish so after the turn I focused on pulling back some time and other runners. I was conscious of dying from mile 7 last year and indeed in the 15k last month so was careful not to overcook it. The pace did come back to 5.36 though so a PB was starting to look a possibility now, with the tailwind. At this stage I had it in my head that every metre that passed before the sufferfest began was a bonus. 
Approaching mile 7, & taking every step feeling OK as a bonus (pic Gearóid Ó Laoi)
I passed 8 miles in 45 minutes - the exact same time as last year. 
I was behind a Leevale athlete now and my focus was to stay with him up the dreaded hill. Not alone did I achieve this but I passed and dropped him. I was really suffering now but still catching runners and more importantly my pace still read 5.36. C'mon Frankie !! With about 1200 to go I caught another runner and considered attempting to pass but he seemed to pick things up. Grand job I thought and I latched on and let him pull me to the finish. I was in agony now but I managed to see the clock tick through 56 minutes I gave one final push to get through in 56.13 a PB of 35 seconds and one place down on last year with 33rd. Whilst a long way off my goal time I would deffo have taken it at the 5 mile Mark!!
Inside the last 400m - being dragged along (photo Joe Murphy)
After a minute of catching my breath, the next race began - down to the pub to watch the European indoor 800ms final. I walked in with 2 club mates declared we had no money but asked the bemused bar maid could we watch it. For some reason I thought telling her that it would literally take less than two minutes would help our argument! She kindly switched on the telly, just in time to see Mark English claim a brilliant silver.
Managed a very slow warm down with some clubmates before heading home for some refueling and a shower. Finished the day out with some pleasant pints and even more pleasant food before hitting the hay quite content before midnight.
Warm up 2miles 10miles (5.23,5.30,5.44,5.39,5.48,5.36,5.32,5.31,5.42,5.29,5.06 pace for last bit) warm down 1.3 miles. Weekly total: 54.6 miles
 Was woken early by a howling gale and rain. Managed to get back to sleep but just after 7am I decided to hit the road. Thankfully I had left my car in Ballycotton so had no option than to brave the elements. I took an extended route for a 5mile trot, covering some of the course from the day before. Didn't feel terrible but not incredible either. Managed to get a more enjoyable hour in at noon before having lunch and heading for the airport 
AM: 5miles @ 7.40 HR 131
PM: 8.3miles @ 7.00 HR 133
After remembering how knackered I was the last time I did a double the day after a late flight I set my alarm for 7.30 to give a bit of a lie in. Woke just before 7 so went out and did my most enjoyable morning run down by a lake, as it was daylight and running to work wasn’t an option due to needing to bring my PC in. Felt OK during the day but as soon as I laced up my shoes to head home I realized I was knackered and the hour was quite a struggle.
AM: 8.6miles @ 7.15 HR 132
PM: 8.4miles @ 7.10 HR 132
Was up a little earlier this morning but it was still reasonably bright so managed to run to work via some lakeside trails. Nice to get off the tarmac for at least part of the run. Felt pretty tired and even now a few hours later the stairs are proving a bit of a challenge. I’m conscious of not killing myself this week after getting injured the week after Ballycotton last year, so even though the miles are high they are pretty low intensity.

AM: 8.4miles @ 7.05 HR 132

No comments: