Friday 6 March 2015

Running late

So my recovery week didn't get off to the most auspicious start. After the hard week of training, I let the hair down a little on Sunday afternoon and had a few beers while watching Ireland put in a stellar performance against England in the 6 nations rugby. Ended up pigging out foodwise for the evening after being pretty disciplined all week, but I guess there's no major crime in that. It did come as a bit of a shock to my system though and as a result I hardly slept. At least this meant I was up in plenty of time for the flight back to Denmark. After getting to the airport in plenty of time I needed to find a petrol station and from there everything fell apart. I located a filling station but alas finding my way back to the airport proved elusive due to my terrible navigational skills.
By the time I got there my flight was closed and I nearly cried with frustration. Now I've missed plenty of flights in my time but it's usually been because of an epic night on the lash but for half a tank of sans plomb, give me a break! 
Thankfully I managed to get another flight departing about 4 hours later. I contemplated getting a run in but my stomach felt like it contained a shot putt, and not the ladies one at that. I trudged like a condemned man through security but miraculously I resisted the urge to go on a junk food binge which was sorely tempting, but the shot putt called foul at least.
 Almost went for a run when I got back to my apartment that evening but decided against it, said I might as well let the body recover from the week it had just endured. This has been an idea I had been toying with, so decided to execute it. Rather than a full low key week I was thinking why not break it two, ie recover a bit, build up a bit and then recover again. My logic is that rather than a week where there's no progress at all, by having a mini peak in the middle of the week I might make some gains but as the overall mileage is still down the body should hopefully recover just as much as if I did low mileage all week. 
I had sort of done this in the build up to Ballycotton last year but hadn't taken the Monday off, but I also had had a quiet weekend running wise at least in the lead up to it, so a Monday off wouldn't have made sense.
On Tuesday I did a session of 400s. I didn't even bother with the track, just found a flat stretch of road on my commute from work. Felt terrible and had times in the low to mid 80's. Yuk.
Ran to work Tuesday morning, taking the most direct route for once and also conscious of not arriving at the same time as the chefs (i use their locker room) I put the hammer down and ended up averaging 6.38 per mile.
Did a more sedate run on the way home but exchanged quality for quantity and did just over 10 miles. Ran in again Thursday morning but took a long route this time. Was up early this morning for a flight home and will do a run once I hit terra firma.
As a side note my weight has been frustrating me this week. I know I did the dog Sunday night but I had been good all week, and although as I hadn't weighed myself I definitely felt leaner. My weight was 65 kg on Tuesday morning but I expected it was just bloating from salt etc. I thought I'd be back to normal by today but as I stepped on the scale this morning I was still 63.8kg. I know my mileage has been down but I've reduced my intake to match. Anyway was in a similar situation last year and it didn't seem to figure against me so we'll see how it goes. 
Tuesday: 8x400m 8.7 miles total
Wed AM 4miles @ 6:38 HR140
PM 10.3miles @ 7:16 HR 131

Thursday 8.8mile @ 7:31 HR 125 

No comments: