Tuesday 25 February 2014

Hold da kæft mand!

So finding myself back in Denmark on a Monday morning for the first time in a few weeks I didn't bother with the pre dawn, pre breakfast 13 miler as per the last two weeks. Instead I did 6.5 with 5 more after work. Rather than laziness it was because I had time on my hands the previous 2 weeks. I like to stay on CET when I'm at home so getting up early isn't a problem. Plus now I was able to bring my tempo run back to today, Tuesday, as I had left it until Wednesday the last 2 weeks as I wouldn't subject myself to a tempo the day after a 13 miler especially when it's part of a double.
 So for today's tempo, I had one thing in mind - to get down to 6 minute miling. As last week I had only managed 6.04 (and had to dig deep for that ) it was by no means a certainty. 
After checking the weather I knew I'd have the wind for the first half but said I would definitely go no faster (but possibly slower) than 5.55min/mi to the turning point and rather than try and run as fast as possible for 10K I would hold 6 minute miling for as long as possible if the chance arose, and turn it from a tempo into a longer steady state run.
Sure enough like all good plans, they changed during the run with miles 1 and 2 both in 5.52 and mile 3 in 5.48 for good measure, but in my defense I felt fine and the wind was even stronger than I expected. After turning the average pace dropped to 5.54 but came back to 5.53 as I went down a gradual incline. At this point it usually gets very tough but I eased back slightly and let the pace drop after about 4.5miles At my usual stopping point of 10k I was still at 5.56 and felt reasonable so kept going. I was still heading into the wind and passed two joggers and heard one say " hold da kæft mand" or shut up man, a Danish expression for incredulity. This brought a wry (albeit slightly contorted) smile & inspired me to keep the head down but after a while I decided I had enough wind for now so turned again. Managed to keep going til 8 miles by which the time the pace had dropped to 5.59. Very satisfying and also was good to know that the tired legs had disappeared :) A good confidence builder 12 days out from Ballycotton.
Mon AM 6.6 @ 7.45 HR 129
PM 4.8 @ 7.31 HR 130 
Tues warm up 2.8 @ 7.31
8 @ 5.59 HR 168
Warmdown 3.5 @ 8.22

No comments: