Tuesday 25 February 2014

Ballygiblin 5k


So Sunday brought my third race of 2014 having done the Dungarvan 10 (62.15) and a 10k a week later in Copenhagen (37.25). I had sub 17.30 as a minimum target for the 5k course which was being billed as being fast and flat. 
It certainly was flat but a very strong headwind for the first half of the out and back course made for a very casual start. After settling into the lead group I felt fine and realised the reason was we were doing 6min/mile. Just as well as I hadn't done a great warm up having not factored in meeting people I knew and chatting. Things picked up slightly after the 1st mile and two lads got away. I was happy enough in 5th place and noticed at the turning point we had a nice gap to the chasers. I also noticed the 2 lads with me had opened a gap on me as we turned the corner.
 I felt reasonable as we headed back and having all the runners coming against us was a nice distraction. The gap to the guy in 4th was a bridge too far, my legs felt a bit heavy but my average pace was dropping steadily with the wind having thankfully not dying down. Crossed the line in 17.25 for a steady enough performance. Splits were 5.55, 5.30, 5.21 and 5.06 pace for the last bit. 
Did a 7 mile warm down to ensure I hit 80 miles for the week but felt quite tired.
I think I need an easy week now, but I will try to go to the well one more time and use next week as a recovery week in the build-up to Ballycotton. Heading back to Denmark now and next weekend will be my first travel free weekend since I got back in training so that should also help :)
Edit: publish failed. Total for week 80miles

No comments: