Tuesday 20 April 2010

Nobody to blame but myself

Things had being going well, and as always something had to give. After an easy 65 minutes on Wednesday I was looking forward to testing myself on thursdays tempo run. Because of this I was perhaps a bit over exuberant over the first few miles. I was fairly tired during the last 3 miles but still managed to get under my target pace of 5.45. It was also a timely reminder of the need to pace myself so better happen in a tempo than with 15 laps to go in a track race! Did another easy 65minutes on friday before taking saturday off in preparation for the opening track race of the season Sunday - Leevale open Sports
Wednesday: 9miles @ 7.20 HR140
Thur: Warmup: 1.6 Tempo: 6 mile @5.44 HR 177(5.39/5.39/5.49/5.46/5.45/5.47) Cooldown:3miles
Fri: 9miles @ 7.22 HR 139
Total for week:55 miles

Driving out in the car on Sunday I was thinking to myself that there was absolutely no reason why I should n't be able to run 9.15 for the 3K race I had entered and I was pretty much right, I clocked it at 9.15 on the button while my official time said 9.16. Felt I ran pretty well. Due to the high number of entrants they split the race in two & I found myself in the 'loaded' heat. This was a good thing as I knew I'd be dragged along rather than having to set the pace. When the gun went the race went off very quickly & I found myself towards the back of the field after the first lap despite clocking 73 secs. Stayed in this position for another lap before gradually working my way through the field. Felt totally in control. I was going as hard as I could but was able to focus totally on what I was doing. Could see a guy I knew about 50metres in front of me with maybe 4 laps to go & just knew I would catch him. Got on his shoulder with about a lap and a half to go & was able to sprint away in the final 200m. Felt spent but not shattered at finished & looking at the Garmin I had negative splited for probably the first time in my life! Still only managed 12th place mind.
So onto my current crisis - it's 3 days untill the intervarsities 10k and my throat is killing me. And I know exactly why. Our race was delayed on Sunday so I warmed up and stayed in the same t-shirt for the hour or so we had to wait untill we were called to the start. This might be ok in July, but despite the nice weather it was a really stupid thing to do at the moment. Am spraying my throat with Difflam, so hopefully will be ok come friday. Did n't get out yesterday and don't think I'll get out today. Hopefully get to do something tomorrow though
Sun: Warmup: 3 Race: 3K 12th in 9.15 Warmdown: 5miles
Leevale Mens 3K heat 1

1 comment:

bob said...

Hey, really great blog post… I've enjoyed reading through your blog because of the great style and energy you put into each post. I actually run AceHealth.org, a blog of my personal research and experiences. If you're interested, I would love to have you on as a guest blogger. Please send me an e-mail: bob.mauer65(at)gmail(dot)com, and I can give you more information. Looking forward to hearing from you.