Thursday 1 May 2014

Time to rest

While still on my exile from carbohydrates I planned on doing one last run yesterday evening. I was still pretty much listless but I said to myself if I can't do 45-50 minutes, how would I survive when the going inevitably gets tough on Sunday?
With this in mind I started off in a positive frame of mind. Once I started off I realised I was feeling a fair bit better than the previous day (admittedly I had a small amount of beetroot & kidney beans at lunch so there was some glycogen in my system!). So after a mile I decided to knock out a bit at marathon pace just to get myself in the mood for running fast on empty. Once I got going the pace dropped to 5.55per mile, it wasn't easy - but it was manageable. After a mile I decided to keep going, it was definitely a good mental exercise and kept it up for another mile which I completed in 6.01. I was pretty spent and shuddered (briefly) at the thought of doing 26.2 miles at not THAT much slower pace!! But then I reassured myself with fueling, rest etc. etc.
Once I slowed down I actually felt pretty good and did another 5 miles.
Wasn't as tired as I had been previously and even today I feel OK. Not sure what that means, I don't think the body can switch to relying on fats so quickly, maybe it's just the knowledge that the carbs are just around the corner :)

Regarding the second reason for the dearth of carbs, weight maintenance, I've actually lost a bit of weight since I started and was at an all time low this morning of 57.5kg. I don't think too much of this was fat loss though and more to do with the lack of carbs meaning less water retention (3g water for ever gramme of glycogen). This will no doubt revert back to normal over the next 2.5 days but this was always part of the plan.

I will now take today and tomorrow off, do a little stretching etc. My shoulder and general right hand side is still a little sore since Monday's bathroom malfunction, but it didn't affect my running. Maybe it's good to have something to worry about!
Wednesday: 8miles @ 6.59 HR 143 including 2miles @5.55,6.01

No comments: