Wednesday 21 May 2014

Master of none

With Aalborg BK winning the Cup final on Thursday celebrating consisted of drinking until the wee hours and then having *ahem* some soakage afterwards. Amazingly managed to get out for a run Friday morning, mostly due to the blue sky that greeted me when I looked out the window.
As I was heading home & had lots of time to kill in Amsterdam airport, combined with being hungover I ended up in the KLM lounge eating comfort food and drinking copious amounts of coffee. By the time I touched down in Cork I was shattered. Not ideal preparation for the county masters track championships on Sunday. Of course I consoled myself with the notion that there'd be most likely very little competition.
To add to my woes my rental car started spewing smoke within a few minutes of leaving the airport & I had to wait an hour for the AA to arrive. So it was well after midnight before I got to bed.
Took Saturday off and headed to CIT not exactly full of enthusiasm on Sunday morning. After warming (and indeed catching) up with my seldom seen clubmates I made it to the startline. I asked how many O35's there were and the girl at checkin said 3. Well that's a medal sorted anyway I replied, so long as I finish. Oh how the words nearly returned to haunt me! After eyeing up the competition I determined unless the marathon miraculously disappeared from my legs I would have to settle for second.
Sure enough the guy I feared took off, I managed to stay with him for about 150m before admitting it was a lost cause. I still managed the first 800m in 2.30 though which was OK. After another lap or two, of the 3K race (7.5laps) I started really suffering. After being passed by 1 or 2 runners, one of whom was the other O35 I was at a crawl. I had forgotten what pain was like! I decided there and then that it was marathons all the way!! I eventually made it home in 10.30 which I think was only slightly quicker than the last 3K in Limerick!!
Anyway not to worry, as my Mother said afterwards, I knew you weren't taking it too seriously when you had steak and chips for dinner Saturday night. Hmm she might have a point!

No comments: