Sunday 15 November 2009

Athletes Diet??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiQMwfNHmB0
Steak & Chips, followed by 6 jaffa cakes & a snack before bed of 2 jumbo sausage rolls. What does this lead to? Arguably my best ever race performance!Had a bad week running wise picking up some bug that had me in bed shivering at 8.30 last Sunday night. Had managed 3rd place in the Lisgoold 5K earlier in the day and decided to do another 7 miles that evening for good measure. Shortly after coming home however started feeling off so decided to try and sleep it off. Took monday off & did the 2nd midleton 3K on tuesday evening recording a time 9.45 which was 8 secs off last time despite perfect conditions. Did n't feel physically or mentally up to it, and during the warm down had some terrible stomach cramps. Took it easy for the rest of the week & found it hard to motivate myself for the IUAA road relays which were being held in Maynooth on Saturday. Decided to head to my parents place friday night to break up the journey & that's why I decided not to bother with my usual pre race meal of wholegrain pasta and chicken.
The relay consisted of legs of 1-2-3-2-1 miles of which I was doing the 3 mile. I was very nervous of not letting the side down & hoped that the stomach cramps would  n't return. Settled into a nice pace on the first lap and managed to hang on to a guy from UCC as he went past & just stuck on his shoulder. Knew he was faster than me so said I'd hang on as long as I could. Went through the first mile in 5.02 but felt  ok so carried on. Struggled a little on the 2nd lap but still managed to stay on the other guy's shoulder. Around half way around the 3rd lap I was ready to let him off but suddenly I found myself ahead and drove for home. The last few hundred metres were tough but there was great support which helped.Managed to cross the line in 15.27 which I think equates to a sub 16 5K so was absolutley chuffed with that.
Took a day off today & will go easy again this week. National Intercounties are next weekend so will do that & then start back training hard for the munster cross country champs in January. Or thats the plan at least!

No comments: